Books for Boys
Jack and Gizmo Series Jamaal and Gizmo Series
Serie de Jacques et Gizmo Serie de Jamaal et Gizmo
These books are aimed specifically at young and early school-aged boys. They are written based on the educational research into the factors that have been shown to play a role i increasing the probability that boys will develop an interest in reading at an early age.
Educational research has shown that the number one predictor that children will experience long-term success in school is the level of reading readiness they have when they begin school. The research also shows that young boys that have been provided with books that have specific characteristics are likely to have a higher level of reading readiness when they begin school. These characteristics are:
1. Books that have a male as the central character with whom boys can identify;
2. Books that the boys actually own, even if they cannot yet read them by themselves;
3. Books that contain action, adventure and/or problem-solving by boys;
4. Books that portray the central character modelling behaviours such as reading, problem-solving, and searching for and applying knowledge;
5. Books in which the vocabulary allows them to be read to to boys by their parents in their early years, and by the boys themselves once they begin to read for themselves.
All 16 of these books are available online from Xlibris.com and virtually all other online book sellers. They are available in both ebook and paper format.
"Equality means equality for everyone." - CAFE
"Everyone is equal in the education system, but girls are more equal than boys." - Dr. James S. Brown
(Adapted from Animal Farm) "Did someone mention that equality means equality for everyone?"
The first book in the series, "The Adventures of Jack and Gizmo - Jack and Gizmo Become Best Friends," is available as a Microsoft app. It allows the book to be read by the child, or to the child by a narrator. It also allows the parent to record his or her voice reading the story. so it is ideal for a situation where one parent is not able to be with the child at bedtime, since the child can still listen to the parent read the story, even while absent. It is available from the Microsoft Store for only $1.99.